Latest posts by Mubashir Tufail (see all)
How to study English in school for international students
Community Mentor (Pakistan)
This study guide comes from my own school of NLPECH College. I think it is good to apply the same study method and help with your English learning process.
English is one of the most widely spoken languages on the planet. It is used as the official language in around 40 countries but is used widely in more than 100 countries. English is used as the international language in many fields including communications, science, business, aviation, entertainment etc. Overall, more than a billion people around the world are believed to speak the English language.
As an NLPTECH student, learning English or improving your English language skills will enhance their professional, social and academic prospects and mobility.
NLPTECH Students are encouraged to speak with fluency and accuracy as well as develop the four skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking. The classes are theme based to provide practice in a meaningful context which can be extended outside the classroom. Small class sizes ensure that NLPECH friendly and professional teachers (all of whom are native English language speakers) are able to attend to each individual student’s unique needs.
On our first day, we will be issued a short written and oral placement test to help us establish our level in English.
NLPTECH STUDY FORMAT
Speaking and Listening
- recognize and use internationally-used English language greetings and introductions.
- explain, in English, where you are from.
- discuss, in English, travel plans and different parts of the world.
- make plans with English speakers for a party, a holiday or an outing to the cinema.
- discuss, in English, food, fashion, your likes and dislikes and your everyday routine.
- go to an English speaking doctor.
- make phone calls in English.
- listen to English language radio broadcasts.
- successfully communicate with English-speaking employers in a job interview.
Reading and Writing
- write personal emails in English to your friends and family.
- write formal letters to English-speaking companies, government departments, etc.
- fill in important forms in English.
- read about a wide variety of subjects from English-speaking cultures â€“ from Queen Elizabeth I to jazz music!
- read and understand important notices and documents in English, such as instructions, rules and regulations, housing advertisements,
- invitations, travel brochures, what’s on guides and weather forecasts.
Grammar and Vocabulary
- the vocabulary of nations, occupations, family, time/dates, food/drink, clothes, the body, the home, public places, weather/seasons, music, the academic world, animals, history, geography, transport, technology, describing appearance.
- using articles: a, an, the
- using can, can’t to describe ability, e.g. I can’t play guitar.
- using comparative adjectives, e.g. museums are more interesting than parks.
- the difference between countable and uncountable nouns, e.g. some bread/a slice of bread.
- using demonstrative adjectives, e.g. Are these your keys? Yes, they are!
- the going to future, e.g. What are you going to do next week?
- using imperatives, e.g. Water the plants every day.
- uses of must and have to, e.g. Do I have to do my homework?
- the past simple of the verb to be, e.g. Were you at the party yesterday? No, I wasn’t.
- using possessive adjectives, e.g. Our favorite subject is grammar.
- different question types, including yes/no questions, short answer questions and who-/how questions.
- using the present continuous tense, e.g Are you having dinner? No, we’re having lunch.
- using the present simple with subject pronouns, e.g. I am, you are, she isâ€¦
- using there as a subject pronoun, e.g. there are 6 states in Australia.
Show your speaking confidence.
Good luck, Mubashir Tufail
Photo – thank you, NLPTECH.
Welcome to our elite “Become a confidence English speaker club” for emerging and confident future leaders. Our group members are the leaders of tomorrow, and they have helped ten of thousands of people with their knowledge and wisdom.
We are the English learning community only for leaders of English speaking and writing. Knowledge sharing is caring!