Latest posts by Lydia Lavenza (see all)
400 Words Essay Challenge Article – LEARN ENGLISH GRAMMAR ARTICLES (A, AN, THE)
Community Contributor (Indonesia)
- Leadership strengths (Level 3)
- Community Contributor
How to use ‘a’ and ‘the’: the definite and indefinite articles in English. Articles are used to indicate whether a noun in a sentence is specific or general. This simple guide will help you learn more about the articles in English.
Learn English Grammar Articles (The)
1. The article the is used before singular count nouns.
Ex. He’s going to take the dog for a walk
2. The article the is used before plural count nouns.
Ex. Harry and Daniel are using the computers
3. The article can be used with not count nouns or the article can be dropped entirely.
“He’s drinking the water.” or “He’s drinking water.”
4. We use the article THE when we walk about something more specific.
Ex. The train to London leaves at 6.30.
I always remember the day when we met.
5. When we talk about something for the first time we use ‘a’ or ‘an’ , the next time we repeat that object we use the definite article THE.
Ex. I live in an apartment. The apartment is big and clean.
Learn English Grammar Articles (A/An)
1. We use the article a / an when we are talking about something for the first time or not specific things.
I’ve got a new job. (the listener doesn’t know what the job is)
Would you like a drink? (unspecific drink – i.e., any drink)
2. The indefinite article can be used only in front of a singular noun.
a piece of cake
3. The article a is used in front of words that begin with a consonant sound.
a small apartment
a university (the letter u sounds like a consonant)
4. The article an is used in front of words that begin with a vowel sound.
an old car
an hour (we use an, because the letter ‘h’ is not pronounced)
Welcome to our elite “Become a confidence English speaker club” for emerging and confident future leaders. Our group members are the leaders of tomorrow, and they have helped ten of thousands of people with their knowledge and wisdom.
We are the English learning community only for leaders of English speaking and writing. Knowledge sharing is caring!