Latest posts by Suparno Bhattachayrra (see all)
Rare English word to learn, What is the noun approbation?
Community Author and Editor (India)
- Leadership strengths (Level 11)
- Community Author and Editor (Level 3)
Useful English learning tips for beginners
Today I am going to show you one uncommon English word “Approbation”.
Do you know the history and correct usage of the uncommon English word "Approbation"?
New English words to learn, What is approbation?
Approbation is a noun. It pronounces as “ap-ruh-BAY-shun”
1 : commendation, praise
2 : an act of approving formally or officially
Origin : Approbation is similar in meaning to approval, and it is also very close to approval etymologically. Both words trace back to the Latin verb approbare, which means “to prove” or “to approve.” Approbation meant “proof” when it first appeared in English in the 14th century, and by the early 1500s it had come to mean “formal or official approval,” a sense it still retains in certain ecclesiastical contexts. Today, however, we mostly use approbation in the looser sense of “approval, admiration, or praise.” The related verb approbate means “to approve or sanction,” and the adjective approbatory means “expressing approval or commendation.”
- A murmur of approbation and satisfaction ran through the crowd.
- From all these gentlemen Everett received marks of approbation and confidence.
- Young and Hartley expressed their approbation not less warmly.
- This gratifies the child’s love of approbation and keeps up her interest in things.
Please join our Facebook learning English group [Become a confident English Speaker club] (https://bit.ly/2vpH3Qe) here for sharing of your useful English knowledge with friends, helping many English learners and students. You can also meet smart but friendly English speaking partners,