Latest posts by Suparno Bhattachayrra (see all)
Rare English word to learn the adjective of Noisome
Community Writer (India)
- Leadership strengths (Level 17)
- Community Writer (Level 3)
Do you know the history and correct usage of the rare English word “Noisome”?
New English words to learn, What is noisome? Noisome is an adjective and pronounces as “NOY-sum”.
- noxious, harmfu
- ffensive to the senses and especially to the sense of smell
- highly obnoxious or objectionabl
Noisome sounds like it might be a synonym of noisy, but it’s not.
Something noisome is disgusting, offensive, or harmful, often in its smell.
Noisome does not come from noise, but from the Middle English word noysome, which has the same meaning as noisome.
Noysome was formed by combining the noun noy, which means “annoyance,” with the adjectival suffix -some (“characterized by a (specified) thing, quality, state, or action”). Noy comes from Anglo-French anui, which also means “annoyance.”
As you may have already guessed, the English words annoy and annoyance are also related to noisome.
- In expanse, and forms one of the most noisome and injurious of insect pests.
- The doctor and valet lifted the cloak with which he was covered and, making wry faces at the noisome smell of mortifying flesh that came from the wound, began examining that dreadful place.
- The dog’s noisome odor is making me physically ill.
- Because Jake lives on a farm, he is not bothered by the noisome smell of the dirty animals.
- Noisome vapours arise from the mud left in the docks.
- His noisome reputation for corruption had already begun to spread.
- It was not, of course, merely the noisome aspect which needed to be dealt with.
- Out of this noisome soil grew some of the funerary customs of the upper classes, which today strike us as so exaggerated.
- Quiet, primate and completely secret except for the noisome cologne signal that thrilled the rabbits before it confused them.
- I destroy all noisome and rank weeds , I keep down all pestilent vapors.
- The air is infected with noisome gases.
- The distant workers who supported this wealth lived in noisome slums.
- Surely he shall deliver thee the snare of the fowler, and the noisome pestilence.
- Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.
- Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and the noisome pestilence.
- So that worms swarmed out of the body of this man, and whilst he lived in sorrow and pain, his flesh fell off, and the filthiness of his smell was noisome to the army.
Welcome to our elite “Become a confidence English speaker club” for emerging and confident future leaders. Our group members are the leaders of tomorrow, and they have helped ten of thousands of people with their knowledge and wisdom.
We are the English learning community only for leaders of English speaking and writing. Knowledge sharing is caring!