Latest posts by Mohamed Abd (see all)
- The indefinite article – Learn English Grammar - 27/02/2019
- Third person singular – Learn English Grammar - 22/02/2019
- The difference between should / have to / had better - 01/02/2019
The indefinite article – Learn English Grammar
Community Mentor (Syria)
- Leadership strengths (Level 7)
- Community Mentor (Level 2)
The English grammar rule for the indefinite article
First, Let me share with you a useful learn English “the indefinite article” grammar rules video which created by the popular learn English grammar youtube channel “EnglishLessons4U” and by English tutor “Ronnie”. In Ronnie’s learn English grammar video, Ronnie has clearly explained the basic English grammar rules for the indefinite article usage.
Learn English – A, AN, THE – Indefinite Articles in English
Useful learn English grammar tips from your English tutor “Ronnie” – “‘I saw A movie last night’ or ‘I saw THE movie last night’? A, AN, and THE are called articles and they can be very confusing. Learn exactly when and how to use articles in English in this important grammar lesson!”
Thank you, “youTube\EnglishLessons4U” for his very informative video about the third person singular rule.
THE INDEFINITE ARTICLE
The indefinite article English grammar rules:
When to use the indefinite article?
- Before every common noun in the singular, if it is not preceded by the or some word such as this, that, my, his: as ” l bought a new book.” ( note: I bought a new book).
- Before the words hundred and thousand: as ” A hundred soldiers were in the camp.”
- After the verb to be when a common noun in the singular follows: as ” Mary’s father is a lawyer.”
- In certain phrases: as, to make a noise, a mistake, a fortune, an impression; to have a headache, a pain, a cold, a cough.
When not to use the indefinite article?
- Before singular nouns that are not used in the plural, such as ” He gave me a good piece of advice.” (note: a piece of good advice).
- After the phrase “kind of” or “sort of”: as “what kind of pen do you want?”
The indefinite article English grammar handy tips
The indefinite article usages tips for A, AN or ONE.
In many languages, the numeral “one” is used instead of the indefinite article “a” or “an.” T
his is not so in English.
“One man went into one shop” ought to be “A man went into a shop.”
“One” is to be used only when the number is emphatic: as “One swallow does not make a summer.”
Thank you for reading my “Learn English – The English grammar rule for the indefinite article” learn English grammar article. I hope I have answered all your questions about the indefinite article rules. Mohamed Abd
knowledge worth sharing. Welcome to join us and use your knowledge to help others that will lead to their success.
We are a fast growing English learning social community to gain and share knowledge. Also, we are the best learn English and English knowledge sharing blog which power by many non-native English speakers in our community.
Join our elite “Become a confidence English speaker club” for emerging and confident future leaders. Our group members are the leaders of tomorrow, and they have helped ten of thousands of people with their knowledge and wisdom.